Musculoskeletal Radiology Fellowship
The Musculoskeletal (MSK) Radiology Fellowship is a one-year fellowship located at the main Northwestern University medical campus in downtown Chicago. Fellows will have a broad experience including MSK MRI, ultrasound, radiography and CT as well as MSK image-guided procedures, including arthrography, bone and soft-tissue biopsies and ultrasound-guided injections.
We perform 30 to 70 non-spine musculoskeletal MR examinations per day with a variety of pathology, including sports injuries, trauma, arthropathy and tumors. We routinely perform advanced MR imaging studies, including MR neurography and imaging around metal. CT exams are performed daily and include weight-bearing cone beam CT and dual-energy CT techniques. We see a high volume of diagnostic MSK ultrasound and routinely perform a variety of ultrasound-guided procedures, including corticosteroid injections, calcific tendinosis lavage, biopsies and aspirations. In addition, we perform a high volume of fluoroscopy-guided and CT-guided procedures. Fellows will become comfortable with and skilled at all aspects of musculoskeletal radiology.
Fellows will benefit from interdisciplinary interactions and formalized conferences in a variety of related clinical areas, including orthopedics/sports medicine, orthopedic oncology, physical and rehabilitation medicine and rheumatology. Fellows are also expected to take active roles in medical student and resident teaching. Opportunities for clinical research are available, and fellows are expected to participate in at least one project that leads either to a presentation at a national radiology meeting or to publication.
MSK Fellowship Information
Musculoskeletal Radiology Faculty
Bradley Herynk, MD
Diagnostic Radiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine 2016-2020
Internal Medicine, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center 2015-2016
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine 2010-2015
Cornell University 2006-2010
B.S. Biological Engineering
Alexander Skopec, MD
Diagnostic Radiology, St. Louis University School of Medicine 2016-2020
General Surgery, University of Missouri-Columbia 2015-2016
St. Louis University School of Medicine 2011-2015
B.S. Chemical Engineering; University of Michigan 2005-2009
- Saquid Khawar, MD: Staff Radiologist; Central Illinois Radiological Associates
- Mauricio Galizia, MD: Cardiovascular Radiologist; University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Nick Morley, MD: Musculoskeletal Radiologist; Marshfield Clinic- Eau Claire Campus
- Eric Tarkowski, MD: Musculoskeletal Radiologist; Northwestern Central DuPage Hospital, Winfield, IL
- Kulia Kakarala, MD: Staff Musculoskeletal Radiologist; Texas Tech University Medical Center Health System, Lubbock, TX
- Jonathan Youngner, MD: Associate Staff Radiologist; Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Michael Burke, MD: AMITA Health Saint Francis Hospital, Evanston, IL
- Samir Abboud, MD-Chief Emergency Radiology; Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Ravi Vassa, MD: Staff Musculoskeletal Radiology; Texas Radiology Associates, Dallas, TX
How to Apply
The Musculoskeletal Radiology Fellowship currently has two one-year positions and participates in the Match. Applications for the fellowship will be accepted starting August 1, 2020.
To apply, collect the following materials:
- Universal Fellowship Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation addressed to Dr. Imran Omar
- USMLE transcripts
- ABR Board scores, if applicable
- Passport-size photo of yourself
Submit all completed applications and supporting documentation via email to Julie Mihovilovich.
Learn more about the benefits of training at a world-class academic medical center in a diverse and vibrant city of Chicago. Further program details, including the Department of Medicine housestaff manual and a sample training contract, are available on our McGaw Medical Center Graduate Education site.