Note: All budgets and investigator-initiated proposals must be submitted for departmental approval.
Submission Process for GrantsFour weeks prior to submission deadline:
- Contact Abby Hagler, Associate Research Administrator with funding announcement and budget items. If your proposal will include a subcontract to another institution, contact Abby six weeks prior to the submission deadline.
- A draft budget and a document checklist for all proposal requirements will be provided.
- The budget and administrative materials are submitted for departmental review.
- The budget and administrative materials are due to OSR for initial review.
Two days prior to submission deadline:
- The complete proposal is due to OSR for final review.
Submission Process for Industry Sponsor-Initiated Contracts
- Contact Jessica Anaya Agosto, Senior Research Administrator, to discuss the study.
- Review the contract and approve the budget provided by the sponsor.
- Prepare the protocol and patient consents.
- Finalize budget and route to OSR for approval.
Financial Conflict of Interest Policy (FCOI)
PHS and University policies require that project personnel designated as an "Investigator" (defined as an individual responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of the research):
- Complete training once every four years on updated PHS conflict of interest regulations effective August 24, 2012 (also known as the Final Rule), the University's Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment policies as well as the Investigator's responsibilities for disclosing Significant Financial Interests (SFIs) to Northwestern
- You must make an initial research COI disclosure in the FASIS system subsequent to 8/24/12, and continuously update it throughout the year within 30 days of discovering, acquiring, and/or receiving a new SFI. Additionally, a research COI disclosure must be made at least annually
As a recipient of external funding, Northwestern University must assure Federal and other sponsors that the assignment of time and associated salary and fringe benefit costs to the projects they sponsor is fair, consistent and timely. The University fulfills this responsibility through effort reporting that is required for exempt faculty and staff with sponsored funding commitments.
An effort report will be generated for you if your salary is being paid with grant funds or if you are listed as an Investigator on a clinical trial. This means that on a quarterly basis, you will be required to certify your effort. Faculty will also be required to certify effort reports for their post-doctoral fellows and research assistants.
Office of Research Administration
Contact the Research Administration and Support staff for assistance with many of the administrative requirements related to research.